MINCED CHICKEN SAUCE
- 3 boneless chicken breast or thighs (cut in strips) or 3 cups minched chicken
- 3 garlic cloves ( 1 minced, 2 blended)
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (atarodo)
- 4 large fresh tomatoes
- 2 chilli bel peppers (tatashe)
- 2 onion bulbs (1 chopped, 1 blended)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- salt to taste
- green bell pepper (diced)
- yello bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- If you are using chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces and transfer to a food processor. Pulse on medium speed till chicken is fully minced. No need to undergo this process if you are using store bough minced chicken.
- Heat up 2 cooking spoons of vegetable oil in a pan on medium to high heat, place minced chicken into the pan and stir fry continuously until brown and completely dry. As you stir fry, use your spoon to crumble up the minced chicken so they are not clogged together after stir frying. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
- Then add chopped onions, minced garlic, diced carrots and chopped celery. Stir for about 1-2 minutes.
- Next transfer the cooked minced meat to the pot, stir together to combine
- Add tomato paste and mesh into the minced meat. Stir fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, curry powder, thyme, seasoning cubes, paprika powder and salt into the pot. Stir thoroughly to combine and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile blend tomatoes, tatashe, scotch bonnet peppers, remaining garlic cloves and onion bulb until puréed.
- Then pour the purée into the pot (you should have 2 cups of purée after blending). Stir to combine, reduce heat to low and allow sauce to cook gently for 20 minutes.
- After the first 20 minutes, check the sauce to see if the liquid content is drying out really fast. If it is, add an extra 1/2 cup of water to loosen it up. You want the sauce to be as saucey as possible and the meat to be extra soft.
- Leave again to cook for an extra 20 to 30 minutes.
- Afterwards, add diced bell peppers and sweet corn, stir to combine and leave to cook for another 5 minutes
- Finally, garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro leaves and serve with any side dish of choice.
intensity of the flavour and the sweeter the sauce.