Home-Made Fruit Cake Recipe
Over-indulging is something I like to do once in a while...I mean, our body deserves a treat sometimes!!! The first time I ever made a cake, it was a carrot cake and I made it because of my love for carrots. I recently attended a wedding and was ...
Over-indulging is something I like to do once in a while…I mean, our body deserves a treat sometimes!!! The first time I ever made a cake, it was a carrot cake and I made it because of my love for carrots. I recently attended a wedding and was served this lush piece of fruit cake as dessert. I took the first bite and I immediately knew I wanted to learn how to make it and become an expert at it. I did my research, got a recipe, studied it seriously, and decided to modify it to make it Zeelicious worthy. I have not only added it to my repertoire of recipes, it has now become one of my favorite dessert.
Fruit cake is made with lots of chopped candied fruits, dry fruits such as grapes, berries, etc., nuts and a variety of spices and sometimes made with rum. The addition of rum is merely to preserve it, keep it moist and make it retain its freshness for a long time, as long as a few months.
Fruit cake is usually served at weddings, major holidays and formal dinners. Its sold in stores all year round but in my opinion, it is better and much more fun to make it from the comfort of your home, that way you control the ingredients that go into its preparation. This cake was a star dish on my Christmas table last year and everyone that had a piece had something amazing to say about it…you should already know that it wasn’t enough to go round a second time. So I promised my guests that I was going to share my recipe with them so they can make it on their own at their convenience, hence my posting the recipe here so that everyone can have access to it at anytime.
My recipe is pretty simple and very easy to create and all the ingredients are easily accessible. I got most of the ingredients I used from a super market just by the corner of the estate where I reside.
I always like to start by arranging all the utensils and ingredients measured in the right proportion on the counter top before I begin.
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Cook time: 1 hour.
Rest Time: 24 hours.
Yield: 8-10 big slices. Level: Easy.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fruit candy
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Zest and juice of one orange
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 table spoons rum
- 10 inch baking pan
- Cooking spray
- Parchment paper
- In a medium saucepan, add raisins, brown sugar, butter, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, salt and water. Stir to combine. Bring to a soft boil and allow to simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes. Afterwards, take off heat and leave to cool till lukewarm.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees centigrade.
- Coat baking pan with cooking spray. You can use melted butter in place of cooking spray.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and add vanilla extract.
- Next, add fruit candy and eggs. Whisk eggs before adding.
- Next add zest and juice of orange, zest of lemon, and rum. Stir to combine. You can zest the orange and lemon with a grater.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift in flour and baking powder, mix thoroughly to combine and transfer to fruit mixture.
- Mix thoroughly to combine flour mixture and fruit mixture.
Transfer mixture to baking pan.
- Place baking pan in pre-heated oven and allow to bake for one hour or until a tooth pick inserted comes out smooth.
- After baking, take out of the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes.
- Afterwards, take out from baking pan, wrap in foil and place in a refrigerator to continue resting for at least 24 hours. This will help set the cake.
- After 24 hours, you can serve fruit cake on its own or with a glass of fresh juice.