A lot of people I know avoid eating bananas because according to them, it is a powerhouse for calories and therefore makes it super fattening. The question asked is “Is this fruit really good for the body”? Well like all other things naturally made by God, banana is one fruit that is not only nutritious, it has a lot of health benefits that includes; lowering risk of cancer and asthma, lowering blood pressure amongst a bunch of other benefits. I call it the ultimate power fruit. I am sure that after you are done reading this article, you will have a totally different mindset about bananas. Below is a list of amazing health benefits of this power fruit.
- Improves your mood and reduces stress – bananas are a good source of amino acid tryptophan which your body converts to serotonin. Amongst many other things, serotonin helps improve your mood, reduce stress and enhance your general outlook and happiness levels. It also helps regulate sleep patterns. Interestingly, serotonin also plays an active role in preserving memory.
- Natural remedy for ulcer– banana is an all natural cure for ulcer and this is because it contains certain compounds that create a thick protective barrier in the stomach that can help defend against the damaging effects of excess hydrochloric acid which contributes to stomach ulcer. On top of this, bananas also contain protease inhibitors that can help eliminate a specific bacterium in the stomach that has been found to be a major cause of ulcer.
- Improved vision– bananas contain a small but significant amount of vitamin A, which is essential for protecting your eyes, maintaining normal vision and improving your vision at night according to the National Institute of Health. Vitamin A also contains compounds that preserve the membranes around your eyes. Like other fruits, bananas can help prevent macular degeneration, an incurable condition that blurs central vision.
- High in vitamins and minerals– bananas are a good source of vitamin c, vitamin B6, potassium, magnesium and magnesium. Vitamin B6 is important for creating hemoglobin for healthy blood. It also helps to maintain proper blood sugar levels, synthesizing, breaking down amino acids and producing antibiotics for a stronger immune response in your body.
- Aids digestion– bananas are rich in pectin, which aids digestion. In addition, they are a great source of dietary fiber, which helps the food we eat move smoothly through the digestive track.
- A cure for hangover– bananas are a great cure for hangover. For those mornings when you have overdone it a bit the night before and want to recover quickly, bananas, berries, coconut milk and ice blended together with a blending machine will do the trick. Try not to drink so much at night though. To me that is still the only remedy for a hang over.
Bonus tip: because of its high level of potassium, bananas make you smarter and help you with learning by making you more alert.
Serving size per day – three bananas daily or every other day is just perfect.
As with any food, healthy or unhealthy, portion control is the only way to avoid weight gain. Therefore, if you consume bananas within your body’s food calorie requirement, then this power fruit will certainly not lead to weight gain.