I always serve grilled chicken whenever I am hosting a party or a formal dinner because it is one of the most convenient and easy dishes to prepare and because it is the perfect side dish and goes well with a lot of main dishes. The secret to perfectly grilled chicken is marinading for as long as possible (I have marinated for as long as 48 hours before); I tell you, it does more wonders than you can ever imagine. Not only does it help amplify the taste of the chicken, it also helps it stay moist during grilling and tenderizes it. So what you will have is tender, juicy and super tasty grilled chicken. I have written an article on marinating…you can check it out by clicking on this link Marinading
For this recipe, you do not require an outdoor griller…an oven will work just fine, if that’s what you have. I use my oven all the time and I am yet to notice the difference between the two. Like every other recipe of mine, this one is very easy to create and requires very little effort. The oven does all the work for you. In my opinion, it is a healthier substitute for fried chicken. Sometimes when I want to add it to my salad, I take out the skin before grilling, that way I know i am eating a perfectly healthy meal. So you can adapt the method of taking out the skin before grilling…that way you won’t have to worry about consuming extra calories. Okay, lets begin. For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients.
INGREDIENT LIST 1
- 20 pieces soft chicken thighs/drumsticks
- 5 table spoons suya spice
- 4 table spoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Salt to taste
If you don’t have Suya spice, you can use the following as an alternative. Combine with all other ingredients listed above.
INGREDIENT LIST 2
- 4 seasoning cubes
- 1 table spoon chili pepper
- 1/2 table spoon garlic powder
- 1/2 table spoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 table spoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Wash chicken parts thoroughly to rid it of excess blood. Afterwards, pat dry with a kitchen paper towel and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl thoroughly combine all the ingredients listed under ‘ingredient list 1’. Only use ingredients under ‘ingredient list 2’ if you do not have Suya spice.
- Add them to the chicken bowl and use your palms to generously distribute it so all the chicken parts are fully coated.
- Cover with cling film and leave to marinade in the refrigerator for at least two hours or as long as 48 hours.
- After marinating, gently lay chicken parts on an oven rack and place in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit pre-heated oven.
- Leave to grill for 45minutes to 1 hour or until chicken parts are thoroughly cooked.