Bitter-Leaf Soup Recipe
INGREDIENTS 10 pcs cocoyam 10 pcs goatmeat 5 pcs shaki 10 pcs beef 5 pcs kpomo 2 cups shredded stockfish 2 cups shredded dry fish 2 table spoons crayfish 5 fresh yellow pepper 5 fresh red pepper 1 cup palm oil ...
- 10 pcs cocoyam
- 10 pcs goatmeat
- 5 pcs shaki
- 10 pcs beef
- 5 pcs kpomo
- 2 cups shredded stockfish
- 2 cups shredded dry fish
- 2 table spoons crayfish
- 5 fresh yellow pepper
- 5 fresh red pepper
- 1 cup palm oil
- 2 cups shredded bitter leaves (washed thoroughly to remove every form of bitterness)
- 1 table spoon ogili (local spice)
- 6 seasoning cubes
- 1 table spoon ground pepper
- In a medium sized pot, bring 4 cups of water to a rolling boil, add coco yams and leave to cook for 30mins or until tender.
- Thoroughly wash goat meat, beef, kpomo and shaki with tap water. Season with 3 seasoning cubes, 1/2 table spoon ground pepper and salt. Add 1-2 cups of water, mix thoroughly. Set on medium heat and cook till tender.
- Thoroughly wash stock fish and dry fish, first with hot water and afterwards with tap water. You may need to further boil your stock fish depending on its toughness. Your stock fish should be very tender.
Blend yellow peppers and red peppers with an electric blender till a puree is formed, set aside.
- When coco yams are cooked, scoop into a food processor or a wooden mortar.
- If you are using a food processor, use the chopping blade and blend for 5 minutes until coco yams are soft and fluffy and there are no visible lumps.. It is best to blend when yam is still very hot.
- If you are using a mortar and pestle, pound for about six-seven minutes or until there are no visible lumps.
- When meat is cooked, add an extra cup of water; this will form the base of the soup.
- Scoop out the coco yam with a wet spoon into the pot and leave to boil for 5 minutes.
- Next add the palm oil, pepper puree and ogili (local seasoning), stir to combine and leave to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining seasoning cubes, crayfish, ground pepper, dry fish, stock fish and salt. Leave to cook for about 20-25minutes on medium heat.
- Finally add shredded bitter leaves, stir to combine and leave to cook for another 3mins. Turn off heat afterwards.
- You can serve with any solid of your choice.