Prep Time: 20mins.
Cook time: 45mins.
Yield: 8 servings.
- 6 cups palm kernel extract
- 5 Pieces goat meat
- 5 pieces shaki
- 5 pieces kpomo
- 2 cups shredded stock fish
- 1 cup shredded dry fish
- ½ cups scent leaves/efinrin leaves
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 4 seasoning cubes
- 1/8 teaspoon okpei
- 4 scotch bonnet/atarodo
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- Boil goat meat and shaki on medium-high heat. Add 2 seasoning cubes, ½ tablespoon dry pepper and salt to taste. Leave to cook till tender. If Kpomo is tough, cook with shaki and goat meat. When all the meats are tender, separate meat and stock, set aside.
- Blend scotch Bonnet and Ogiri with a blender until a smooth paste is formed. You can add a little water to make the blending process easier.
- Place a big pot on the hob, add the palm kernel extract, then add the stock from the meats. If your stock isn’t enough, add water, you’ll need the consistency to be quite fluid; a semi thick consistency. Bring to a light simmer.
NOTE: if you are not using store-bought palm kernel extract and you want to extract the natural way, boil 8 cups of palm kernel for 40 minutes on medium heat. Transfer cooked palm kernel to a mortar and use the pestle to take the skin off the palm kernel by pounding gently and continuously till you can visibly see the shell of the palm kernel. Afterwards, add 5-6 cups of hot water to the mortar, stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Use a fine sieve to carefully extract the liquid. You should get a semi-liquid extract. Discard the chaff and the palm kernel afterwards.
- Add blended pepper mix, shredded stock fish, shredded dry fish and cooked meat to the pot. Stir to combine and leave to cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add remaining seasoning cubes, ground crayfish, ground pepper and salt to taste; stir and leave to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, add scent leaves (efinrin leaves), stir to combine and take off heat immediately.